Wednesday 7 December 2011

Recipe: Lamb Tagine with chickpeas and sultanas

I saw Jeff Campbell cook this on Ready Steady Cook back in my Arts degree days when I watched a lot of daytime TV, still lived at home, and couldn't cook to save my life :P
This was one of the first dishes I mastered when I moved out of home, because most of the ingredients could be found in the pantry. 
This for Greta, who always requested I cook it for her when we lived in the same apartment block back in the day :)

NB: If you can't find ground fennel, I use a mortar and pestle to grind the seeds - it is messy though.

Lamb Tagine with chickpeas and sultanas
 
  • 1 tsp each of ground fennel, coriander and cumin
  • 1 lamb backstrap, cubed ~ 1.5cm
  • Olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
  • 1 tsp finely grated ginger
  • ½ cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • ¼ cup sultanas
  • ½ cup chicken stock (Massel's is gf)
  • 1 cup tomato passata
  • ¼ cup coriander leaves
  • Greek style yoghurt, to serve
  1. Combine fennel, coriander and cumin in a bowl, add lamb and toss to coat. Shake off excess.
  2. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat, cook garlic, ginger and lamb for 2-3
    minutes or until lamb is sealed. 
  3. Add chickpeas, sultanas, stock and passata and cook for a further 10 minutes or until lamb is tender. 
  4. Add coriander and remove from heat
  5. Serve Tagine topped with yoghurt. 
Pre-gluten free, low carb days, I served this also with toasted, oiled bread such as focaccia to mop up the sauce. Traditionally, I supposed cous cous should be the accompaniment - gluten freebies could use quinoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment